My Pet Child

3 Immediate Things to Do After Your Dog Swallowed a Sock

Dog Visit Vet

Dogs get into everything and sometimes what they decide to try to eat is just bad news for all involved. Some dogs try to swallow socks, and this can definitely be a tricky and potentially life-threatening situation. If your dog just ate a sock here are three steps to take to ensure your dog will be okay and to ensure no long-lasting complications.

1. Call the Vet for Assistance

The first step to take if your dog has swallowed a sock is to call your veterinarian for immediate assistance. Your vet knows both you and your dog and could give the most appropriate advice for this situation. The important thing to tell the veterinarian is when the sock swallowing happened as the timing is very important. From there, your vet will advise you on the steps to take.

2. Induce Vomiting with Hydrogen Peroxide

You can induce vomiting yourself using hydrogen peroxide, but you should only try this if you have the vet’s approval to do so. This trick will only work if the dog has eaten the sock within the past couple hours, since it likely will still be close to the top of the throat to be vomited out. There is a formula involved here so it’s important to first weigh your dog and be as exact as you can.

Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical so you need to be very accurate with the weight measurement. For each pound of weight, you need to administer .5ml to 1ml of hydrogen peroxide. If you have a 20 pound dog, you should give 10ml to start off and then see what happens. Giving a pet too much hydrogen peroxide will lead to non-stop vomiting.

3. Wait for the Dog to Poop the Sock Out

You’ve probably heard the saying regarding what goes in must come out, and with a dog eating a sock no words have ever been more true. You can indeed wait for the sock to come out of your dog through his poop, but it will only work in certain situations. Get your vet’s recommendation to wait it out until your dog poops, because it’s not always the right way to go about this situation. You could likely wait it out if you have a much bigger dog and the dog ate the sock of your small child.

Is it Dangerous if a Dog Eats a Sock?

It can be a life-threatening situation if your dog eats a sock because it can become trapped within the stomach. The worst part is if your dog swallowed the sock and cannot poop, which could be a sign of an obstruction. Don’t just think everything will work out even if your dog is acting normally after eating the sock. It’s important to call the veterinarian as soon as you know the incident happened since the vet can better tell you the steps to take and when it’s time to come in for a medical procedure to remove the sock.

How Long Would it Take for a Dog to Pass a Sock?

There is no real answer as to how long it could take for your dog to pass the sock naturally. You can help speed this process up by getting some dog-safe laxatives or feeding your dog some veterinarian approved fiber snacks. It could take a few hours up to a few days for your dog to naturally pass the sock, and the waiting game could be damaging to your pet overall. You also can try some stomach rubs or light stomach massages to encourage the digestive tract to move.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of
About the Author
is the owner of an awesome toy poodle. John started MyPetChild.com to share his experience and knowledge of being an apartment-living pet owner.