What to Do if Your Dog Ate a 300 or 400 mg Gabapentin Pill

Medicine Pills

Gabapentin is a drug prescribed by vets to help dogs suffering from problems like seizures, pain, and anxiety. Gabapentin for human-use is typically available in the following dosage: 100 mg, 300 mg, and 400 mg. For some dogs (especially smaller breeds), the latter two dosage might be too much for them in one sitting. Here are the steps we would suggest if your dog went over the recommended amount and accidentally ate a 300/400 mg Gabapentin pill.

First, call the vet or pet poison control for advice and next steps. If the ingestion was identified early enough, some vets may ask you to come in with your dog so they can try to induce vomiting and have the Gabapentin content taken out before it gets absorbed by the body. They may also try administering activated charcoal. All of this depends on the circumstances of your dog.

According to Lort Smith, Gabapentin is generally well-tolerated by animals and gabapentin overdose isn’t really recognized for being fatal to animals. That said, a small dog that eats a 300 mg or 400 mg Gabapentin pill can definitely suffer from side effects so you should err on the side of caution and call your vet should that happen to your pet.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *