My Dog Ate a Balloon – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Balloons, which are typically made of materials like rubber and latex, can be dangerous to dogs when ingested. How much of a threat it is to a dog’s health will depend on factors such as the number of balloons the dog ate and the dog’s body size.

What happens when a dog eats a balloon?

The main health risk is with blockage in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. Materials like latex and rubber can’t be digested in the dog’s stomach. The only way out is for the balloon material to pass through the whole tract until it comes out from the other side. Unfortunately, pieces of balloon can get stuck somewhere along the tract. This could happen early on in the esophagus or much later in the intestines.

Intestinal blockage is a serious problem and may require a surgical procedure, especially if the offending material is a rubber or latex-based object such as a balloon. Symptoms of intestinal blockage may include vomiting, a loss of appetite, abdominal pain, and lethargy.

What to do if your dog ate a balloon

Keep a close eye on your dog, especially when they eat or go do their toilet business. The consequences aren’t always immediate. It may take up to a few hours before your dog shows any concerning symptoms. It may give you peace of mind to call a vet for advice. Be prepared to answer questions like the number of balloons the dog ate, the size of the balloon pieces, and the type of balloon material.

Some dogs may end up fine after eating a balloon. This would usually be the case if the balloon pieces the dog swallowed are tiny (relative to their body size). This, however, is something you shouldn’t immediately assume. Finding out about blockage issues until your dog starts to show symptoms is a recipe for disaster.

Comments

Leave a Reply