My Dog Ate a Battery (Alkaline, Lithium, Disc Batteries etc.) – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

The content of batteries is toxic to dogs. You should have the dog seen by the vet right away if you notice your dog has swallowed some household batteries.

The dangers of batteries

Household batteries come in many shapes and forms. All of them will pose a threat if they are accidentally swallowed by a dog. Standard alkaline batteries, for example, may cause irritations in the dog’s digestive tract. Dogs also have a strong bite. If they managed to chew through the battery casing, the chemical inside the battery may cause burns inside the dog’s mouth and esophagus.

Lithium ion batteries may pose an even bigger threat. A single 3-volt battery, for example, may result in severe necrosis, which refers to the death of body tissues. It may only take 15 to 30 minutes of contact before the damage starts to have effect on various parts of the dog’s gastrointestinal tract.

What to do if your dog ate a battery

Call the vet right away even if your dog is acting normal. Bear in mind that any concerning symptoms may not appear until an hour or two after the dog swallowed the battery. Potential symptoms may include drooling, a lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pains.

Don’t try to force your dog to vomit. It will do more harm than good. For example, the dog’s stomach might already be in a compromised state. Using home remedies such as 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting would irritate the stomach lining even more. Vomiting also increases the risk of spreading the battery chemicals, especially if the battery is in a punctured state.

Comments

Leave a Reply