My Dog Ate Wild Bird Seeds – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

The ingestion of wild bird seeds does have the potential to make a dog sick. This largely depends on the type of ingredients used in the bird seed mix and the quality of the seeds.

What happens if a dog eats bird seeds?

Wild bird seed mixes make use of ingredients like sunflower seeds, cracked corn, millet, and other types of grains. These ingredients aren’t usually toxic to dogs. What makes bird seed potentially dangerous is the quality or state of the seeds. The ingestion of moldy bird seeds, for example, may lead to mycotoxin poisoning in dogs.

Mycotoxin is a naturally-occurring toxins produced by molds. These molds can grow in bird seeds, especially if the seeds have been left in a warm and humid condition for an extended period of time. Aflatoxin is another type toxin that could get passed on from stale bird seeds.

Dogs that suffer from mold toxin poisoning may exhibit a number of symptoms such as a loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. You should have the dog seen by a vet as soon as possible if you suspect your dog ate old stale bird seeds, especially if they’ve been picked up from the ground.

What to do if your dog ate bird seeds

Generally speaking, dogs should be okay if they only ate a small of fresh bird seeds that came straight from the packaging. The ingestion of old bird seeds, on the other hand, should be treated with more precaution. It may give you peace of mind to call the vet for professional advice. There have been cases of moldy bird seeds leading to death due to the serious effects of the toxin.

In the meantime, make sure to clear away as many birdseeds as you can from the ground to prevent your dog from eating more birdseeds. The dog should also have plenty of access to clean drinking water.


Leave a Reply