My Dog Ate a Bumblebee – What to Do Next
Some silly dogs may end up eating a bumblebee because they love chasing small flying things. The buzz sound that bumblebees make have also caught the dog’s attention.
What to do if your dog ate a bumblebee
Don’t panic for starters. Dogs may have a tendency to reflect the emotions of their owners. Panicking could make the dogs feel a lot of stress because they probably don’t know that eating bumblebees and other flying insects isn’t a good behavior.
Your first step should be to start checking the dog’s snout and the inner-space of the dog’s mouth. Try to confirm that your dog did indeed eat a bumblebee. If your dog got stung, you need to try and extract the stinger by gently scraping it out (assuming it’s easy to reach). A sting would most likely result in swelling, itching, and reddening of the skin.
There can be a possibility of the bumblebee sting being life-threatening for the dog. This would be if the dog has an allergic reaction to the bee sting. You need to take your dog to the emergency vet right away if it’s clear that your dog is struggling more than he should.
It can also be dangerous if the bee manages to sting the inner part of the dog’s body. A stung throat, for example, may result in choking as the swelling might make it difficult for the dog to breathe. We would recommend calling the vet if you know that your dog ate a bee but can’t locate the stinger. It could take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours before potential swellings start to appear.
Dog ate a bumblebee but didn’t get stung
Your dog can count himself lucky! Your dog will most likely be fine as long as he doesn’t have an allergic reaction. You may want to monitor the dog for symptoms for at least a few days. Bees are venomous, not poisonous. For dogs, digesting bees wouldn’t be too different to digesting other sources of protein.