My Dog Ate Chapstick or Lip Balm – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Chapsticks and lip balms can be an attractive proposition for dogs due to their flavorful scent. The risk that chapsticks could introduce to a dog’s health will depend on a number of factors such as the ingredients of the chapstick.

What can chapstick do to dogs

Generally speaking, most dogs will be fine if they only swallow the chapstick and not the plastic casing that protects it. Chapsticks typically don’t contain ingredients that are toxic to dogs. That, however, doesn’t mean chapsticks or lip balms are entirely safe for pets. They may still contain ingredients that cause irritation in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract.

For example, some lip balms or chapsticks may make use of ingredients like petrolatum and mineral oils. The ingestion of these ingredients may potentially cause symptoms like diarrhea and stomach upsets. Puppies and small-sized dogs are typically more prone to getting sick than larger dogs.

The other danger that chapsticks may introduce to dogs is from the plastic casing or tube. Dogs that swallow the chapstick tube may end up with obstruction issues along the gastrointestinal tract. This can eventually turn into a serious health threat if left untreated.

What to do if your dog ate a chapstick

First, don’t panic. Your dog could become super anxious if they see you all stressed. This could make the state of their health worse. We would call the vet if your dog swallowed the whole casing. Intestinal blockage isn’t just dangerous for the dog’s health. The procedure to treat intestinal blockage is also very expensive. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Get the dog treated as soon as possible before it becomes a bigger problem.

You should also check the product label to see what ingredients the chapstick contains. It’s possible for some chapsticks and lip balms to make use of ingredients like xylitol, which is highly toxic to dogs. A call to the emergency vet or pet poison hotline is a must if your dog did swallow something that contains a ‘toxic’ ingredient.

Comments

Leave a Reply