My Dog Ate Christmas Tree Needles – What to Do Next
The ingestion of Christmas tree needles can make a dog sick. How sick it makes a dog will depend on a number of factors such as the type of Christmas tree and the amount of tree needles the dog ate.
What happens to a dog that eats Christmas tree needles?
What is the Christmas tree made of? Is it a real or artificial tree? Fake Christmas tree needles, for example, can be problematic to dogs because they can’t be digested. The tree needles might accumulate somewhere along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract and create an obstruction. This would prevent importance substances, like food and liquid, from passing through. Dogs that suffer from intestinal blockage may show concerning symptoms like abdominal pain and a loss of appetite.
Artificial Christmas trees, especially the cheap and low-quality kind, may also make use of materials that are toxic to pets. Some trees, for example, may use a plastic material called polyvinyl chloride (PVC). These plastics may have the potential to cause further irritations in the dog’s body if they don’t pass through quickly enough.
The needles of Christmas trees can also be quite sharp and prickly. They have the potential to create punctures along the dog’s digestive tract.
There is also an issue with real Christmas trees. Pine tree needles, for example, are mildly noxious to dogs. The tree needles may cause irritations once a dog ingests them. Some dogs may start to show concerning signs like diarrhea and vomiting after eating some Christmas tree needles.
What to do if your dog ate Christmas tree needles
Play it safe and call the vet. They would be able to advise whether a trip to the clinic is necessary for further diagnosis. Be prepared to answer questions like the type and amount of Christmas tree needles the dog ate.
In the meantime, make sure your dog isn’t helping himself with more Christmas tree needles. You could try deterring the dog by using products like bitter apple spray. You could also try blocking them out with a baby gate if the dog is small enough.