What to Do When Your Dog Ate Coffee Grounds

Coffee Grounds

Coffee grounds are toxic to dogs so it could be an emergency situation for your pet, especially if they ate a large amount of coffee grounds. As stressful as this situation may be, the first step is to make sure you stay calm. You don’t want your dog to feel stressed by making yourself look restless.

Second, call the vet. An emergency trip may be required depending on the amount of coffee grounds the dog ate. The vet may ask about any signs of caffeine toxicity you could be noticing from your dog as well as other information that’s pertinent to the situation.

It might seem appropriate to get your dog to throw up by administering diluted hydrogen peroxide but we would strongly recommend against doing this on your own unless your vet has given the green light.

Caffeine poisoning doesn’t show up immediately. It may take up to an hour or two for symptoms to kick in although the speed at which this happens will also depend on other factors like your dog’s weight and size. Common signs of caffeine poisoning in dogs include hyperactivity, vomiting, and tremors.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.