Dog Ate a Condom – What to Do Next

Some dogs will attempt to eat anything with a remotely interesting scent with condoms being no exception. The texture and material of condoms could make it a potential health threat if a dog was to eat and swallow them.

Why condoms are dangerous

The main risk you need to be concerned about is the risk of gastrointestinal blockage. The condom might get stuck somewhere along the dog’s intestinal tract. If the blockage isn’t treated, it can eventually lead to something worse if digested material isn’t able to pass along the dog’s body like normal.

It’s also possible for dogs to choke after swallowing a condom. The dog might start to gasp for air if the condom blocks parts of the dog’s airway. The risk of choking or intestinal blockage may become even higher if the dog swallowed the condom packet as well.

There is also a possibility of dogs having latex allergies. Once consumed, dogs may suffer from mild to serious health problems. Symptoms like rashes and swelling are common among dogs that suffer from an allergic reaction.

What to do next

You may want to err on the side of caution and have the dog seen by a vet, especially if they start to show any concerning symptoms. Some dogs may end up being just fine after swallowing a condom. The condom might pass through the dog’s digestive tract and appear in the dog’s poop after a few days.

We would keep a close check of your dog for the next few days. Pay extra attention whenever they poop. Some dogs may start straining if the condom is causing problems, especially if it’s stuck in the intestines.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.


Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code