My Dog Ate Human Cough Drops – What to Do Next
Human medication like cough drops isn’t designed for consumption by animals. Cough drops can be dangerous to dogs, especially if it contains ingredients like xylitol, which is known for being toxic to animals.
What happens if a dog eats a cough drop
How dangerous a human cough drop is to dogs will depend on a number of factors such as the ingredients used and the amount of cough drops the dog ingested. Some dogs may get away with little to no symptoms. The consumption of one or two cough drops may just result in mild gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea and stomach upsets.
Other dogs may show severe symptoms, some of which could be life-threatening. Sugar-free cough drops that contain xylitol are particularly dangerous to dogs. Xylitol is very toxic to dogs and may result in a number of bad symptoms such as tremors and a lack of body coordination.
Menthol is another popular ingredient used in human cough drops. The consumption of menthol-infused cough drops may cause irritations in the dog’s digestive system. Don’t be shocked if your dog starts experiencing symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting.
It’s not just the cough drop you need to worry about. The wrapper could also be dangerous if the dog swallowed it. The plastic wrapper may end up causing your dog to choke if it obstructs the airway. It may also cause blockage along the dog’s intestinal tract. This typically require surgery to fix.
What to do if your dog ate cough drops
Your dog may end being just fine but we would still call the vet just in case. It’s better to be safe than sorry considering the potential dangers that human cough drops could introduce to dogs. In the meantime, monitor your dog for the next few days. Pay close attention to when they eat as well as when the dog poops. These moments will give you a better read of whether your dog is sick from eating human cough drops.