My Dog Ate Crayons – What to Do Next
It’s going to be interesting to see your dog’s poop if you ever find yourself in a situation when the silly dog ate some crayons. Generally speaking, the ingestion of crayons isn’t going to be a major health threat to dogs unless they ate one too many.
What happens when a dog eats crayons?
Dogs may end up being fine after eating crayons, especially if it was a small amount relative to the dog’s body weight. A typical crayon is made from paraffin wax and color pigments. Once inside the dog’s body, the paraffin wax may just soften and pass through the dog’s stomach and intestines with little issue.
This, however, doesn’t mean your dog is completely safe after eating crayons. For example, dogs that eat a large amount of crayons may suffer from symptoms like loose stools and discomfort in the stomach and intestines. Some crayons may also be wrapped in non-digestible materials like plastic. These materials may accumulate and cause blockage in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract.
What to do if your dog ate crayons
This isn’t necessarily an emergency situation if your dog only ate a tiny piece or a small amount of crayons. We would still recommend taking the safe than sorry approach by calling the vet, especially if your dog ate a large amount such as a full box of crayons.
If you are early enough with taking the dog to the vet (within a few hours of the dog ingesting the crayons), it might be possible to induce vomiting and have the crayon content out of the dog’s body before it comes a potential problem in the stomach and intestines.
In the meantime, stay vigilant. Monitor your dog for a few days in case he starts to show any worrying symptoms after eating crayons. After a day or two, you may start to see your dog passing some unusually-colorful poop.