Dog Ate Diaper Crystals – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

How unsafe the ingestion of diaper crystals is to dogs will depend on a number of factors such as the amount of diaper crystals the dog ate.

What happens when a dog eats diaper crystals?

The first thing to understand is what and why these crystals exist in the diaper. They are typically found in the absorbent layer of a disposable diaper. They are there to give the diaper its absorbent quality. The crystals are formed using sodium polyacrylate, which is generally considered non-toxic to pets, whether that’s through ingestion or topical exposure.

These diaper crystals may still pose a health threat to dogs even if they are considered non-toxic. For example, a dog that eats a large amount of diaper crystals may suffer from gastrointestinal distress. The dog may start to show symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea due to the irritation caused by the foreign content.

What to do if your dog ate diaper crystals

We recommend calling the vet if your dog is showing any abnormal symptoms. In the meantime, keep a close watch of your dog’s activity. It wouldn’t hurt to temporarily feed your dog a bland diet to help the crystals pass through the dog’s digestive tract. Appropriate options may include foods like plain boiled rice and chicken or plain pumpkin puree.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code