Dog Ate Do Not Eat Packet (Silica Gel) – What to Do

Silica Gel Do Not Eat Packet

Did your dog accidentally get his paws on a do not eat packet? First, we want to reassure that the silica gels in the packet aren’t toxic according to the folks at Pet Poison Helpline. That said, the content inside these packets may still cause harm for your pet so it’s important that you call the vet as soon as possible.

While the silica gels in the packet may not be toxic, it may still cause a host of health issues like irritation to the skin, respiratory tract, and gastrointestinal tract. For dogs, one of the biggest concerns is blockage. The silica gel doesn’t degrade so it may accumulate and block parts of the dog’s gastrointestinal tract.

While the symptoms may not be immediate, your dog may eventually start to become lethargic, have diarrhea and vomit, and display other signs of gastrointestinal upset. The severity will depend on how much of the do not eat packet content your dog consumed.

Do not wait as soon as you have noticed that your dog has eaten some silica beads. Call the vet and he or she will advise you on the appropriate next steps. In the meantime, you should also make sure that all other food products containing the do not eat packet are out of your dog’s reach.

Unlock your dog's hidden intelligence with this amazing brain training system. Say goodbye to all of your dog's bad behaviors with just a few steps.
John at My Pet Child

is the Founder of My Pet Child, where he shares his tips on living with a dog in an apartment.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments