Dog Ate Drawstrings from a Hoodie – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Drawstrings, whether they are from hoodies, pants, or other clothing items, can be dangerous to a dog’s health if a dog was to accidentally eat them.

What happens if a dog eats a drawstring?

The health risks introduced from a dog eating a drawstring will depend on a number of factors such as the dog’s size and the length and thickness of the drawstring the dog ate. In the best case scenario, the pieces of drawstring will be small enough to pass through the dog’s digestive tract with little issue. You may expect the dog to pass the pieces of drawstring within a few days of eating them.

In the worst-case scenario, a dog could suffer from intestinal blockage issues after eating a piece of hoodie drawstring. Intestinal blockage can become a life-threatening condition for dogs if it isn’t treated quickly. Intestinal blockage can lead to a variety of symptoms such as severe abdominal pain, bloat, loss of appetite, and constipation. Some of these symptoms can appear suddenly.

What to do if your dog ate a drawstring

As a dog owner, you should assume the worst and call the vet for advice, even if your dog is acting normal after eating a piece of drawstring. Depending on the circumstances, your vet may advise to have the dog brought into the clinic for further diagnosis or the vet may ask you to monitor the dog closely for a few days if they perceive the risk level as low.

In the meantime, don’t give your dog a chance to engage in further pica behaviors. Store away any household items your dog might accidentally chew and swallow.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code