Dog Ate a Dryer Sheet – What to Do Next

Calling the emergency vet or pet poison hotline is strongly recommended if you just found out your silly dog ate a dryer sheet. How dangerous a dryer sheet to dogs will depend on factors such as whether the dryer sheet is used and whether or not the dog swallowed a whole dryer sheet.

What happens if a dog eats a dryer sheet

Your dog might suffer from a gastrointestinal upset if he ate a fresh dryer sheet. Chemicals used to create dryer sheets, such as cationic softeners, may cause irritations along the dog’s digestive tract. Benzalkonium Chloride, for example, may also result in symptoms like excessive salivation and muscle weakness.

Chemicals are less of a concerned with used dryer sheets because a lot of the chemical should have washed out as part of the dryer cycle. It’s not just the chemicals, however, that should worry you. Whole dryer sheets may also cause obstructions along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract.

This risk is a lot higher with smaller-sized dogs and puppies. Dryer sheets can’t be digested. It has a possibility of getting stuck somewhere, such as in the dog’s intestines, if it wasn’t shredded into smaller pieces prior to being swallowed.

What to do if your dog ate a dryer sheet

Call the vet as soon as you can. The window to induce vomiting is a few hours from the ingestion of a non-food item. It’s best to have the vet handle this rather than trying to induce vomiting at home. It can add further complications to your dog’s health if you don’t do it using an appropriate method.

Some dogs, especially the big-sized ones, may end up being just fine after eating dryer sheet but this isn’t a risk you should take. Monitor your dog carefully over the next few days. Check their bowel habits. It may take up to one or two days before the dryer sheet appears in the dog’s poop.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.


Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code