Dog Ate the Drywall – What to Do Next
Eating drywall isn’t a major problem in most cases because the typical drywall material isn’t toxic to dogs. This, however, doesn’t mean a dog is completely safe as other associated factors could still make them sick.
Will eating drywall hurt my dog?
Drywall is typically made using material such as wood pulp and gypsum. These materials aren’t considered toxic to dogs unless they’ve been mixed together with chemicals that are poisonous to pets. Eating a small amount of drywall is unlikely to hurt a dog.
A large amount, however, can make dogs sick. It increases the risk of blockage in the dog’s body. A large amount of drywall could accumulate and block certain parts of the digestive system, such as the stomach, intestines, and bowel. Blockage can manifest itself as a number of concerning symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and a lack of appetite.
There is also the risk of asbestos. Some drywalls may have been made using asbestos-containing material. This is more likely with properties that have been built before the 1990s. Asbestos exposure is dangerous to dogs as it is to humans. It can lead to the development of cancer such as canine mesothelioma. Common symptoms may include excessive coughing, respiratory distress, and sleeping problems.
What to do if your dog ate a drywall
It may give you peace of mind to call the vet for advice. A visit to the emergency vet is not always needed unless you suspect your dog ate a large amount of drywall (relatively to his body size). Puppies and smaller dogs are more susceptible to getting sick.
In the meantime, take special care of your dog and keep a close eye on him whenever he eats or poops. Signs of struggle would typically indicate that the drywall is causing havoc in the dog’s digestive system. It would also be worthwhile to do a bit of research on your property to check whether the drywall does or doesn’t contain asbestos materials.