My Dog Ate a Frog or Toad – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

It’s important to act quickly if you think your dog ate a frog or toad. It’s possible for dogs to get sick, especially if they were to ingest a poisonous toad or frog.

What will happen if a dog eats a frog?

Frog or toad poisoning may occur not long after the dog eats the amphibian. The dog will start to show signs of sickness as soon as the toxins are excreted from poisonous frog or toad species. The ingestion of cane toads, for example, can result in life-threatening signs and symptoms.

Common signs of frog or toad poisoning may include excessive drooling and frothing at the mouth. The dog’s gum may also start to turn extremely red. Vomiting and diarrhea could appear later on. If left untreated, the symptoms could get worse. The dog may start to experience worrying symptoms like tremors, seizures, and difficulty in breathing.

What to do if your dog ate a frog

Don’t leave anything to chance. Take your dog to the emergency vet straight away as soon as you have found out that the dog has eaten a frog or toad. Some dogs will end up perfectly fine. That is if they ingested a non-poisonous species of frogs or toads. This, however, is something you wouldn’t know unless you are a seasoned amphibian expert.

It can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours before you start seeing any signs of frog or toad poisoning. This means you need to be vigilant even if your dog is acting normal. Monitor your dog carefully for the next few days. Make sure he has access to plenty of clean drinking water. Watch his eating and pooping habits.

Comments

Leave a Reply