My Dog Ate Broken Glass – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Broken glass, whether that’s from a broken light bulb, cup, or reading glasses, can be quite dangerous if a dog was to ingest it. Some dogs may get extremely lucky and have the broken glass pass through their digestive system without any issues. Those that aren’t so lucky may face a number of worrying symptoms.

What happens if a dog eats glass?

The severity of the consequence will depend on a number of factors such as the size and sharpness of the broken glass shards. In the worst case scenario, the broken glass may cause laceration and punctures along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. Internal bleeding can result in a number of worrying symptoms such as pale gums, general weakness and lethargy, and bloody stools.

Broken glass can also lead to cuts in the dog’s mouth. This could extend the risk of infections as open wounds are pretty much an invite to bacteria and other harmful pathogens.

What to do if your dog ate glass

Call the vet for advice. In some cases, it might just be a case of being vigilant and having the dog monitored as long as they don’t show any signs of distress. The vet may suggest giving your dog soft foods such as plain bread, canned pumpkins, or mashed potatoes. These foods may help protect internal organs from the sharp edges as the broken glass shards pass along the dog’s body.

Dogs that do show signs of distress and bleeding, on the other hand, should be taken to the vet as soon as possible. The wounds would need to be treated with the appropriate medication if you don’t want further infections to develop. Don’t try to self-treat the dog at home as that may cause more harm than good.

Comments

Leave a Reply