Dog Swallowed a Golf Ball – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

It’s not that uncommon for dogs to accidentally swallow foreign objects like a golf ball. It may have happened while the dog was playing with it in his mouth. How dangerous this is to dogs will depend on a number of factors like the size of the dog’s body and whether the dog chewed the golf ball into smaller pieces before swallowing.

What happens when a dog swallows a golf ball?

In the worst case scenario, the golf ball will be big enough to get stuck somewhere along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract, whether that be in the stomach or other parts like the intestines. Blockage is a major health hazard for dogs. It will increase the risk of dogs developing serious health conditions like bloat. It’s vital for dogs to be treated quickly if the golf ball does get stuck. The longer you leave it, the more complicated the treatment is likely to be.

What to do if your dog swallows a vet

Visit a vet as soon as you can. The vet may request an x-ray in order to be able to assess the situation. If it has been less than an hour or two since the dog swallowed the golf ball, the vet may conduct a vomit-inducing procedure if they think it is safe to do so without compromising your dog’s health.

In the worst case scenario, a surgical procedure might be needed if the golf ball is stuck too deep inside the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. In the meantime, it’s extremely important you keep a close eye on your pet’s behavior. Pay special attention to their breathing, eating, and pooping habits. Any sort of difficulty should have you take the dog to the emergency vet.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code