Can Dogs Eat Grape Jelly? When it is or isn’t an Emergency

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Before you continue, it’s important to note that a mix of many factors can determine how unsafe it is for a dog to eat grape jelly. Call the vet if you are ever in doubt.

Why grape jelly is unsafe for dogs

Nothing good comes from letting your dog eat grape jelly. It’s one of many human foods that isn’t safe for dogs. Let’s go through what ingredients a grape jelly may contain. At minimum, it may include grapes, syrup, sugar, and pectin. You may already know how dangerous it is for dogs to eat grapes. There isn’t one established threshold to help determine the amount of grapes that are toxic to dogs but what we do know is that it doesn’t take that many.

The content of actual grape found in grape jelly is likely to vary by product. Having one grape jelly is unlikely to be as dangerous as eating one grape but that doesn’t mean your dog will necessarily be fine if your dog only ate one or two.

The high sugar content of grape jelly may cause havoc in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. An excess amount of sugar can cause an upset stomach in dogs. Having a few too many grape jellies may result in your dog showing symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.

There is also the risk of xylitol. Some grape jelly products are sugar-free and use artificial sweeteners like xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. You should call the vet immediately if this is what your dog ate.

What to do if your dog ate grape jellies

If your dog only ate a tiny amount of grape jelly (such as a small smear), a trip to the vet may not be necessary although calling them may still give you peace of mind. You may just want to keep a close eye on your dog’s behavior in case he does start to show any concerning gastrointestinal symptoms.

If your dog ate more than one grape jelly, call the vet or pet poison hotline. They will be able to advise whether further evaluation is needed on your pet’s health status. Be prepared to answer questions like the amount of grape jelly the dog ate and how long it has been since the dog ate the grape jelly.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code