Can Dogs Eat Gummy Worms / Gummy Bears? When it is or isn’t an Emergency

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

How unsafe the ingestion of gummy worms or gummy bears is to dog will depend on a number of factors. If you are ever in doubt, please call the vet. A fast reaction can make a difference if your dog does fall sick after eating these gummy candies.

What happens when a dog eats a gummy worm or gummy bear?

The gummy candies, whether they are the regular or sour kind, usually don’t contain any ingredients that are toxic to dogs. That, however, doesn’t mean it’s safe to let your dog eat gummy worms or gummy bears on a regular basis. Some dogs may fall sick after eating many pieces, such as a whole bag full. The sugar content may cause mild irritations in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract and lead to stomach upset symptoms.

The main concern would be if the gummy worms or gummy bears do contain ‘toxic’ ingredients like xylitol. A small amount could be enough to make a dog seriously ill, especially if they are small-sized. Check the ingredient label and confirm that the candies don’t contain any foods that dog shouldn’t eat.

What to do if your dog ate gummy worms or gummy bears

A visit to the vet is unlikely to be needed unless your dog ate gummy worms or gummy bears with toxic ingredients or if the dog ate an obscene amount in one sitting. Mild symptoms of gastrointestinal upset may appear but should be temporary. For now, keep a close eye on your dog. In most cases, it should be fine as long as the dog is eating, drinking, and pooping like normal.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code