Dog Ate a Hair Tie – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Hair ties may appear harmless but they do have the potential to endanger a dog’s health if a dog was to swallow it. How dangerous it is will depend on a number of factors like the number of hair ties the dog ate and the dog’s body size.

What happens when a dog eats a hair tie?

The main risk is with choking and blockage, especially with puppies and small-sized dogs. Swallowing a few hair ties could make it difficult for a dog to breath. The hair ties could get stuck in the dog’s air passage and lead to choking. Dogs that suffer from choking would show symptoms like excessive gagging and excessive salivation. They may also keep pawing at their mouth to dislodge the hair ties that are stuck inside their throat.

It doesn’t become any safer for a dog if the hair ties were to make it pass the esophagus. The other health risk is with blocking. The hair ties may create an obstruction at some point along the digestive tract. This could be in the stomach, intestines, or the dog’s bowel. Obstruction is a serious issue. It puts the movement of food and liquids at a standstill. It may manifest itself into larger health problems like bloat. Dogs that suffer from some form of blockage may show symptoms like constipation, a loss of appetite, and vomiting.

What to do if your dog ate a hair tie

While the potential health risks are serious, most dogs may end up being okay if they only swallowed a single hair tie. That said, it may still give you piece of mind to call the vet for advice. They may ask questions like the size of the hair ties and the number of hair ties the dog ate.

In the meantime, keep a close eye on your pet. It may turn okay if they are eating, drinking, and pooping on their regular schedule. Any concerning signs, such as the development of symptoms like diarrhea and lethargy, should have you take the dog to the vet straight away.

What about hair scrunchies?

Hair scrunchies are likely to pose a bigger health risk to dogs when swallowed. They are bigger in size and more likely to get stuck in the dog’s body. Call the vet as soon as you can if your dog ate a hair scrunchie.


Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code