Dog Ate Jalapeno Poppers – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Your dog by now is probably regretting his choice of eating a jalapeno popper once it has made its way to the stomach. How dangerous the ingestion of jalapeno poppers is to dogs will depend on many factors like the ingredients of the jalapeno popper and the amount the dog ate.

What happens when a dog eats a jalapeno popper?

A general recipe may include ingredients like cream cheese, bacon bits, jalapeno peppers, milk, flour, cooking oil, and bread crumbs. Most of these ingredients aren’t healthy for dogs, especially if they are eaten in large amounts.

Nothing may happen if the dog only ate a tiny piece of jalapeno popper. A few pieces, however, may start to cause havoc in the dog’s stomach and lead to mild symptoms like vomiting and an upset stomach.

While rare, one cannot rule out serious symptoms, especially if the dog has a pre-existing health condition (e.g. pancreatitis) or if the dog ate way too many jalapeno poppers containing ingredients that are toxic to pets, such as pieces of garlic and onions.

What to do if your dog ate a jalapeno popper

Check what ingredients were used to make the dish. A quick call to the vet could be worthwhile if any of them fall under the unsafe list of food for dogs. If the dog only ate a small amount (relative to his body weight), all that may be needed is for you to keep a close eye on your pooch for the next few days. You may want to feed your dog plain food like boiled rice or plain pumpkin puree to help the jalapeno popper along without causing too much irritation to your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. Make sure your dog has plenty of water to drink.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code