Dog Ate a Joint / Weed Roach – What to Do Next

How much of a health threat a weed or joint roach may pose to dogs will depend on a number of factors such as the amount of marijuana ingested and the quality of the weed.

Can a dog get sick from eating a joint?

Yes, dogs can get sick from eating a joint roach. This can happen if they eat a large amount of weed relative to their body weight. A large dog that ingests a tiny bit of joint may end up being okay but sickness can develop in a short space of time if they have too high of a dosage. Symptoms of marijuana toxicity may include incoordination, dilated pupils, and excessive drooling. Some dogs may also vomit and develop urine leakage problems.

What to do if your dog ate a joint roach

Call the vet, especially if you think your dog ate a large joint roach. A trip to the emergency vet isn’t always necessary but you should at least seek professional advice to help determine the severity of the situation. Some vets may ask to have your dog come in so they can induce vomiting. This, however, would only be effective if it hasn’t been a long time since your dog swallowed the joint roach.

In the meantime, make sure your dog stays hydrated. Dehydration is a major problem for dogs that are suffering from marijuana poisoning. A trip to the vet might be necessary if your dog refuses to drink any water. The vet may need to administer IV fluids to keep your sick dog hydrated.

How long does it take for a dog to stop being high?

You may notice the symptoms of marijuana ingestion within an hour of the dog ingesting the joint roach. The effects of cannabis may last anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Like for humans, the effects of marijuana can be different for every dog.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code