My Dog Swallowed a Marble – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Dogs can be enticed by the glistening round shape of a marble and end up swallowing one if they start playing with the marble with their mouths. How dangerous the ingestion of marbles is to a dog will depend on a number of factors like the dog’s size and the number of marbles the dog swallowed.

What happens when a dog swallows a marble?

Intestinal obstruction is one of the worst things that can happen to a dog that swallows a marble. It’s more likely with puppies and small-breed dogs. The intestinal tract of large-breed dogs may be flexible and large enough for the marbles to pass through with little interference. Intestinal blockage can become life-threatening if it isn’t treated quickly as it prevents important food and fluids from getting digested and passing through.

What to do next if your dog swallowed a marble

You should call the vet even if your dog isn’t showing signs of distress. It won’t always be obvious if a dog is feeling sick from swallowing a marble or two. The dog may eventually show worrying symptoms like constipation, loss of appetite, and lethargy but they may not appear immediately after the dog swallows the marble.

If appropriate, the vet might request you to try and get your dog to vomit. One common method is by trying to get the dog to throw up by giving them a little bit of 3% hydrogen peroxide. This should only be done under the vet’s guidance. In the meantime, keep a close eye on your dog especially when they poop or eat. It may also help to feed your dog bland foods like plain boiled chicken and rice for a few days. Such foods may help the dog pass the marbles in the feces.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code