My Dog Ate a Monstera Plant – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

The big leafy green of a monstera plant can be an attractive target for dogs that love to chew and eat new things. Also known as the Swiss cheese plant, monsteras can make dogs sick with the level of severity depending on factors such as the amount and the parts of the plant the dog ate.

What happens when a dog eats a monstera plant?

Monsteras, unfortunately, are mildly toxic to dogs. They contain a mineral called calcium oxalate crystals, which can be found in various parts of the monstera plant including the stem and leaves. The ingestion of these crystals is unlikely to have life-threatening consequences if it was only a small amount. The presence of calcium oxalate, however, may still lead to irritations in various parts of the dog’s digestive system.

Dogs that have eaten parts of a monstera plant may show clinical signs such as swelling in the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting, and a loss of appetite. Certain parts of the monstera plant may be more toxic than others. The stem, for example, could be considered the most dangerous for dogs because it is packed with the sap that contains the calcium oxalate crystals.

It’s also possible for dogs to suffer from an allergic reaction after eating or touching parts of the monstera. Plant allergies can lead to a variety of symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, and skin infections.

What to do if your dog ate a monstera

We would call the vet or the pet poison hotline to be on the safe side. Be prepared to answer questions such as the amount the dog ate as well as the parts of the monstera plant he chewed and ingested. The vet would be able to advise whether a trip to the clinic is necessary for further diagnosis.

In the meantime, always keep an eye on your dog. The development of swelling, for example, can be quite dangerous. Any changes in behavior or development of symptoms should have you take the dog to the vet as soon as you can.

Comments

Leave a Reply