My Dog Ate a Nicotine Pouch – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Dogs can suffer from nicotine poisoning after they ingest a nicotine pouch. The severity of nicotine poisoning will depend on a number of factors such as the dog’s body weight and the amount of nicotine ingested.

What happens if a dog eats a nicotine pouch?

According to MSPCA Angell, clinical signs of nicotine toxicity has been reported at doses as low as 1mg per kg of a dog’s body weight. A lethal dose could be considered somewhere in the region of 9.2mg per kg. On average, a single nicotine pouch may contain 4 mg of nicotine. This means a single satchel can be quite dangerous to dogs, especially puppies and small-sized dogs.

Dogs that ingest a nicotine pouch may suffer a number of symptoms ranging from mild to symptom. Mild symptoms may include vomiting, excessive drooling, and dilated pupils. Serious symptoms may include changes in blood pressure, tremors, and paralysis. Death is also a strong possibility.

What to do if your dog ate a nicotine pouch

Don’t wait. Take your dog to the emergency vet as soon as you can. A single satchel can be quite toxic to dogs. If you take action early enough, the vet might able to induce vomiting to get as much nicotine content out from the dog’s system. This tends to only be effective if it hasn’t been more than an hour or two since the dog ate the nicotine pouch.

The same action is recommended if the dog ingests other nicotine-based products like cigarettes and nicotine gums. These products should never be in your dog’s reach.

Comments

Leave a Reply