My Dog Ate a Plastic Toy – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

The ingestion of plastic toys can be dangerous to dogs of all sizes and ages. How much of a risk it is to your dog’s health will depend on a number of factors such as the size of the plastic toy and the dog’s body size.

What happens when a dog eats a plastic toy

The main risk is with blockage and choking. Once swallowed, plastic toys (or pieces of it) can get stuck in the dog’s throat or mouth. This leads to choking as the dog wouldn’t be able to breathe properly. You might notice your dog gaging or coughing a lot in such cases.

The risk of blockage and obstruction increases if the plastic toy makes it way further down the dog’s digestive tract. Plastic obviously can’t get digested in the dog’s stomach. Serious problems will develop if the plastic toy continues to be stuck in organs like the stomach, intestines, or bowel. Dogs affected by foreign object obstruction may start to exhibit symptoms like a lack of appetite, lethargy, and bloating.

There is also the risk of internal bleeding if the plastic toy has sharp ends. The plastic toy might pierce parts of the internal organs as it makes it way through the dog’s digestive tract. Dogs that suffer from internal bleeding may exhibit symptoms such as pale gums, darkening stools, and difficulties with breathing.

What to do if your dog ate a plastic toy

Some dogs may get lucky and have nothing happen to them after swallowing a plastic toy. This could be the case if the plastic toy the dog swallowed is really small. This, however, isn’t something you should assume. We would recommend calling the vet for advice given the potential health risks.

In the meantime, watch over your dog carefully, especially when he tries to poop and eat. Any changes in such behaviors are a clear hint that the plastic toy is causing problems inside the dog’s body.

Comments

Leave a Reply