My Dog Ate Poison Ivy – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Ingesting poison ivy, even if it was a small amount, could, make a dog sick. Recovery, thankfully, is usually straightforward for most dogs unless they ingest a lot of poison ivy or suffer from an allergic reaction.

What happens when a dog eats poison ivy?

Dogs may suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea if they ingest poison ivy. The leaves and stem of a poison ivy contains a clear compound called urushiol. This compound will result in itching and irritation. Imagine the poison ivy leaving its mark as it passes through the dog’s digestive tract.

It can get quite dangerous if the dog is allergic to the compounds of the poison ivy. One common symptom of allergic reactions is swelling. Your dog may start to choke if the poison ivy makes contact with the esophagus and the exposure results in the partial blockage of the dog’s airway. Swelling can also happen deeper inside the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. This may result in temporary blockage and obstruction.

You also need to keep in mind that the poison ivy can easily pass on to you, especially if bits and pieces are stuck on the dog’s coat. Dogs typically don’t suffer as much from skin irritations as the fur protects their skin from the compound that causes the itchiness.

What to do if your dog ate poison ivy

Call the vet or pet poison hotline. If possible, take a picture of the poison ivy plant to make it easier for the vet to diagnose the dog’s condition. Generally speaking, the ingestion of poison ivy isn’t considered life-threatening although it may very well be if the dog suffers from a severe allergic reaction to the poison ivy. Don’t assume anything. Call the professionals for advice.

Comments

Leave a Reply