Dog Ate a Popsicle Stick – What to Do Next

Did your dog accidentally swallow a whole popsicle stick? The wood material of the popsicle stick isn’t toxic to dogs but swallowing one whole stick may still lead to health complications.

Why popsicle sticks are dangerous to dogs

Dogs that swallow a whole popsicle stick may health complications, mainly from the risk of choking. The smaller the dog, the more likely it is for pieces of the popsicle stick to get stuck somewhere along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract such as the esophagus. There is also a risk of internal perforation and bleeding if the dog manages to swallow a popsicle stick with sharp ends.

What to do if your dog ate a popsicle stick

Call the vet. They will advise whether it is safe to induce vomiting. This method is only effective if only a short time has passed since the dog swallowed the popsicle stick. One way to induce vomiting is by using 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. If your dog gets lucky, he will cough up the popsicle stick without causing any further damage to his body.

The alternative is to wait it out. If the pieces are small enough, they will pass along and eventually appear in the dog’s poop. You should keep a close eye on your dog for the next few days. Pay special attention to his appetite and for any concerning symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. Temporarily adding fiber like whole wheat bread may help things move along inside the dog’s intestinal tract.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code