My Dog Ate Rat Poison or a Poisoned Rat – What to Do Next

There is no time to dwell if you have found out that your dog ate rat poison or a dead rat killed by poison. The chemical used in rodenticide can be highly toxic and dangerous to dogs, especially puppies and small-sized dogs.

How to save a dog from rat poison

There is only one answer and that is to call the emergency vet as soon as you can. How dangerous rat poison is to your dog would depend on a number of factors such as the type of rodenticide and the amount your dog consumed. If available, take a photo of the rat poison product label. It will make it easier for the vet to identify what the dog could be in danger of.

You may have come across suggestions to use home remedies like 3% hydrogen peroxide and activated charcoal. These products may help induce vomiting in dogs. You, however, shouldn’t use these methods unless the vet explicitly tells you to do so.

These methods may only be effective if it hasn’t been that long since the dog ingested the rat poison. You might make the situation worse by making the dog vomit when the rat poison content is already deep through the gastrointestinal tract. Dogs can recover from rat poisoning although the time of recovery will vary widely depending on the circumstances.

How to tell if a dog ate rat poison

The symptoms and signs of rat poisoning may differ slightly by the type of rodenticide. A common type you may encounter is anticoagulant rodenticide. Th purpose of this product is to prevent blood from clotting. It may have a similar effect on dogs in the form of blood clotting. The effects aren’t immediate. It could take anywhere from two to seven days to start seeing signs of rat poisoning in dogs.

Other types of rat poison may have a faster effect on dogs. Bromethalin, for example, affects the nerves in the body. Dogs that ingest bromethalin may start to show symptoms such as unsteady feet and mild muscle tremors. These symptoms may appear in a day or two.

Other common symptoms of rat poisoning in dogs include a loss of appetite, frequent vomiting, generalized seizures, and strange movements.

Dog ate rat poison but acting normal

It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for signs of rat poisoning to appear in dogs. It doesn’t necessarily mean your dog is out of the woods just because he is acting normal after eating rat poison. We would strongly recommend giving the vet a call even if you think the dog only ate a tiny part of the rat poison.

Book an online vet appointment if your dog has an emergency but your local vet isn't available. Vetster is available 24/7 for video chat appointments.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Reply