My Dog Ate Cockroach Bait – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

The ingestion of cockroach bait has the potential to make a dog sick. How much it affects a dog’s health will depend on a number of factors such as the active ingredient of the roach bait and the dog’s weight.

What happens when a dog eats roach bait

A lot depends on the type of cockroach bait the dog ate. Combat is one of the most popular brands when it comes to roach baits. One line of Combat roach bait products uses active ingredients like Fipronil. According to VCA hospitals, Fipronil is a commonly used medication in flea and tick treatments. Topical application might be okay but the same can’t be said when a dog ingests it. An overdose of this active ingredient might elicit neurotoxicity in dogs.

Another popular brand of roach bait is Hot Shot. The Ultra Liquid Roach Bait product uses active ingredients such as dinotefuran. The accidental ingestion of this insecticide may result in clinical signs such as gagging, vomiting, and hypersalivation.

What to do if your dog ate roach bait

We would call the vet or the pet poison hotline to be safe. They will most likely ask for information such as the type of roach bait the dog ate and how much your dog weighs. There might be nothing to worry about if it was only a small amount but it’s best to let a professional decide if that is the case.

In the meantime, watch over your dog in case he starts to show any worrying signs and symptoms. Make sure the dog has plenty of access to clean drinking water. Inducing vomiting might be helpful under certain circumstances but this should only be done under the directions of a vet.

Comments

Leave a Reply