My Dog Ate Pieces of a Rubber Ball – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Some dogs can get a bit too rough with their toys and end up chewing bits and pieces of it. How dangerous the ingestion of rubber ball pieces is to dogs will depend on a number of factors such as the size of the rubber ball pieces and the dog’s size.

What happens when a dog eats pieces of a rubber ball?

One of the first things to be concerned about is the risk of choking and intestinal blockage. Large pieces of rubber balls (relative to the dog’s size) have the potential to get stuck somewhere along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. It may happen early on with the pieces of a rubber ball getting stuck in the throat or the dog’s esophagus. In such cases, the dog may start to develop signs of choking such as retching and vomiting. The dog may also paw at their mouth as a sign of major discomfort.

The pieces of rubber ball may get also stuck deeper inside the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. It may, as a result, cause blockage in organs like the stomach and the intestines. This is a serious health problem. It can manifest itself into something worse, such as bloat. It will also affect your dog’s habits. He may suffer from a loss of appetite. The dog’s activity may also diminish. He may act lethargic and stop playing like he normally would.

What to do if your dog ate a piece of rubber ball

We would call the vet to be on the safe side, even if it the dog only swallowed a tiny piece of the rubber ball. The vet would be able to better advise whether a trip to the clinic is necessary for additional diagnosis. Most dogs should be okay as long as the piece of rubber ball they swallowed is small in size. The rubber ball piece should pass along and eventually appear in their poop after a day or two.

The development of any concerning symptoms, like vomiting and constipation, should be a sign to have your dog taken to the vet as soon as possible. Make sure to keep a close eye on your dog, especially when it’s time to eat or poop.

Comments

Leave a Reply