My Dog Ate a Piece of Rubber Toy – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Rubber toys come in all shapes and sizes. How dangerous the ingestion of rubber toys is to dogs will depend on a number of factors such as the size of the rubber toy piece and the dog’s body size.

What happens when a dog eats a rubber toy?

The biggest risks are with choking and blockage. This can happen if the piece of rubber toy the dog swallowed is big enough to get stuck somewhere along the dog’s digestive tract. For example, dogs can start to face difficulty in breathing if the piece of rubber toy gets stuck in the esophagus. You might see your dog gagging and coughing to try and get the rubber toy dislodged.

It’s as big of a health risk for the piece of rubber toy to get stuck deeper in the dog’s digestive tract. The last thing you would want is for the rubber toy to get stuck in areas like the stomach, intestines, and bowel. This can eventually lead to serious health problems such as bloating. The dog may also exhibit concerning symptoms such as a lack of appetite.

Certain rubber toys may come with chemicals that are toxic to pets, especially if they aren’t used for pet use. Bisphenol A (BPA) is one of the bigger concerns. Researchers have found that the presence of BPA in dogs is associated with changes to the dog’s metabolism and gut microbiome.

What to do if your dog ate a piece of rubber toy

Your dog might get lucky and have the rubber toy pass with little issue. It may take about a day or two for the rubber toy to appear in the dog’s poop. This, however, isn’t something you should assume given the risks involved. We would call the vet to be on the safe side. You should be ready to share information such as the type and size of the rubber toy the dog ingested.

In the meantime, keep a close eye on the dog’s behavior. The ingestion of rubber toys may lead to temporary changes in the way the dog eats or does his toilet business. You should take your dog to the vet if you notice anything unusual about the dog’s behaviors.

Comments

Leave a Reply