My Dog Ate a Slug / Snail – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

The ingestion of slugs or snails is no laughing matter. It’s possible for slugs and snails to harbor a deadly parasite which can have serious consequences once it makes its way into a dog’s body.

What happens if a dog eats a slug or snail?

The main danger with the ingestion of slugs and snails is the presence of a parasite called the lungworm. The lungworm doesn’t only live in the slug’s body. It can also be found in the slug’s slime trail.

A lungworm infection can have serious consequences for a dog’s health. The level of severity will depend on factors such as the amount of lungworms that are present in the dog’s lungs. You may notice symptoms such as constant wheezing, sneezing, and coughing. The dog might also have a faster-than-usual breathing rate.

What to do if your dog ate a slug

Consult with a vet. The possible consequences of eating a slug doesn’t always develop immediately. It may take time for the lungworms to establish themselves in the dog’s body. The risk is even higher if your dog isn’t on any preventive medication.

There is also the risk of dogs eating slugs that are covered with pesticide. While rare, the chemicals in the pesticide may cause an allergic reaction. Common symptoms of insecticide poisoning may include excessive drooling, skin irritations, and vomiting.

Comments

Leave a Reply