Dog Ate a Very Small Piece of Glass – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

A dog’s health could still be at risk if the dog was to accidentally swallow a small piece of glass. How dangerous the ingestion of glass is to dogs will depend on a number of factors such as the size and sharpness of the glass.

What happens when a dog eats glass?

While the risk is likely to be small, the main danger with swallowing glass (even if it’s a very small piece) is the risk of laceration. The small piece of glass might be sharp enough to pierce the soft tissues along the dog’s digestive tract. The first thing you should check is the dog’s mouth. Check the dog’s lips, tongue, and gum for signs of blood. Call the vet as soon as you can if you do see signs of bleeding.

Fortunately, the one danger you may not have to worry about is intestinal blockage (assuming the glass is very small relative to the dog’s body size). In such cases, the small piece of glass should pass along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract without facing any major obstacles.

What to do if your dog ate glass

To be on the safe side, we would recommend calling the vet so they can advise whether it is necessary for the dog to receive further diagnosis. If the dog is acting normal and not showing any signs of pain (e.g. gagging or bleeding), all that may be needed is to feed your dog something soft like a bit of bread or plain pumpkin puree. These foods will encase the pieces of glass and help them pass through the dog’s digestive tract.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code