My Dog Ate a Tampon – What to Do Next
A visit to the vet is strongly recommended as soon as you find out your dog has eaten a tampon. It can cause serious health problems and may even be fatal if a dog that has eaten a tampon is left untreated.
Dangers of dog eating a tampon
There are a number of concerning consequences that can arise after a dog eats a tampon. One of the immediate concerns is with choking. Due to the size and shape of the tampon, it’s possible for dogs to choke not long after they eat a tampon. The dog might suddenly try to gasp for air or cough excessively in order to clear their airway.
It’s quite likely for tampons to also cause blockage along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. This prevents your dog’s digestive system from functioning normally. Improper passing of liquids and solids could lead to serious health implications like bloat.
While the tampon is stuck inside the dog’s digestive tract, it’s possible for internal cuts and tears to also develop. It’s dangerous for the dog’s digestive system to become compromised given the role it has for the body. The risk of this is larger for dogs that also consume the applicator.
Unused tampons aren’t any less of a threat than used tampons. Unused tampons, for example, could expand in the dog’s stomach as it absorbs more and more of the dog’s saliva and internal fluids.
What to do if your dog ate a tampon
There’s nothing you can do at home to help your dog. Call the vet as soon as you can. Your dog might get super lucky and the tampon might pass along without causing any issues. This, however, isn’t something you want to bet on with your pet’s life at stake.
Keep a close eye on the dog until you are able to have him seen by a vet. Observe for any changes or development in symptoms. Some of the common symptoms that may appear after a dog eats a tampon include vomiting, lack of appetite, and difficulties in defecating.