My Dog Ate Toilet Paper – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Ingesting toilet paper isn’t likely to cause much of a problem unless your dog ingested used toilet paper or toilet paper that contains chemicals that are potentially harmful to pets.

Can eating toilet paper hurt a dog?

It’s very unlikely but it’s possible for dogs to get sick after eating certain types of toilet paper. For example, dogs that have eaten used toilet paper might fall sick due to being exposed to certain types of bacteria in the human feces.

Toilet paper that has been used to wipe chemicals like cleaning products may also make dogs sick. Dogs that eat used toilet paper may end up with gastrointestinal problems like stomach upsets, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Scented toilet papers, especially the low-quality kind, may also pose a health threat to dogs when ingested. The fragrance, for example, may trigger an allergic reaction in dogs.

What to do if your dog ate toilet paper

You may just need to monitor your dog for the next few days if they ate ordinary toilet paper. The ingestion of used toilet paper, on the other hand, may necessitate a visit to the vet, especially if the toilet paper contains residues of substances which are harmful to dogs.

In most cases, the toilet paper should pass through the dog’s digestive tract with little incident. It’s likely that a dog would have ripped or shredded the toilet paper into tiny pieces before swallowing.

Preventing your dog or puppy from eating toilet paper is quite simple. Either keep the bathroom door closed at all times or make use of a tissue holder stand. These stands will keep your toilet paper roll safe from the dog’s reach.

Comments

Leave a Reply