My Dog Ate Toothpaste – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

How dangerous the ingestion of toothpaste is to dogs will depend on the type of ingredients the toothpaste contains. A call to the vet would be recommended in most cases, especially if you are unsure of the risks certain toothpaste products may have on a dog’s health.

What happens if a dog eats toothpaste?

A lot will depend on the ingredients and the amount of toothpaste the dog ate. You should call the vet immediately if the toothpaste contains “toxic” ingredients like xylitol. It’s a common ingredient that’s used in certain products of popular brands including Colgate.

Dogs that eat toothpaste with xylitol may suffer from a number of symptoms including vomiting, lethargy, and general weakness. Ingesting a large amount may have serious consequences and could even lead to death if the dog isn’t treated quickly. According to VCA Hospitals, the effects of xylitol poisoning can kick in fairly quickly. Take your dog to the vet as soon as possible if your dog ate some xylitol toothpaste.

Dogs that eat non-xylitol toothpaste are still at risk of suffering from serious health problems. Another problematic ingredient is sodium fluoride. According to MSD Vet Manual, the toxic effects of fluoride can happen at less than 1 mg per kg. Popular toothpaste brands like Sensodyne make use of this ingredient.

What to do if your dog ate toothpaste

Don’t take any chance and call the vet (or pet poison hotline) immediately for advice. Some vets may induce vomiting to get the toothpaste content out of the dog’s system before it causes any further damage. This, however, is only effective if it has been less than a few hours since the dog ate the toothpaste.

Comments

Leave a Reply