Dog Ate Toy Stuffing (Cotton, Wool, Polyester) – What to Do Next

It doesn’t matter what the toy stuffing is made of. The ingestion of toy stuffing can be dangerous to dogs. How dangerous it is will depend on a number of factors such as the dog’s size and the amount of toy filling the dog ate.

What happens to dogs that eat toy stuffing

The main risks are with choking and intestinal blockage. First, it’s possible for the toy stuffing to get stuck in the dog’s throat. This may result in the partial blockage of the dog’s airway. Dogs that experience this may start to retch and gasp for air. They may also start to pace back and forth and start pawing at their mouth.

Something just as dangerous is the risk of obstruction along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. For example, certain types of toy stuffing may expand in the dog’s stomach and increase the chances of obstruction. Dogs that suffer from obstruction issues may show a variety of symptoms including abdominal bloating, dark stools, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.

There is also the risk of chemicals. Certain types of toy stuffing, especially if they came from cheap toys, may contain harmful materials and chemicals. These chemicals may cause further irritations in the dog’s body once ingested.

What to do if your dog ate toy stuffing

We recommend calling the vet if your dog ate toy stuffing, especially if it was a large amount. We recommend this even if your dog is acting normal now. It may take a few hours before a dog starts to show any side effects of ingesting toy stuffing.

Some dogs may get lucky and have the toy stuffing pass along the digestive tract without any issues, especially if they only ate a small piece. This, however, isn’t something you should leave to chance given the potential risks.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.


Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code