My Dog Ate Antacids like Tums – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

As a general rule of thumb, dogs should never eat medication and dietary supplements designed for human consumption. Tums, the antacid tablets used to treat issues like heartburn, is no exception.

What happens when dogs eat Tums

The potential dangers of Tums aren’t so much from the ingredients. Antacids like Tums might actually be recommended and prescribed by vets to help with stomach digestion issues. The main danger is with dosage.

Overdosage of Tums can have a negative effect and make your dog sick. For example, a dog that eats a whole bottle of Tums may start to show concerning symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling. It’s also important to check the ingredient label of the antacid tablets. Some brands may contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs.

What to do if your dog eats Tums

Unless the tablets contain ingredients that are toxic to pets, the health risk is likely to be low as long as your dog only ate a tiny amount. If you are ever in doubt, it would be best to err on the side of caution and call the vet for advice. They would be able to advise you on whether the amount of antacid tablets the dog ate is dangerous or not.

Comments

Leave a Reply