My Dog Ate Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Vaseline is not considered toxic to dogs but that doesn’t mean your dog’s health is entirely safe after eating some of the petroleum jelly. Be prepared for a bit of a mess!

What happens to dogs that eat vaseline?

The level of symptoms will depend on factors such as the amount of vaseline the dog ate. It’s very likely for dogs to suffer from mild gastrointestinal symptoms such as stomach upsets. This can eventually manifest into excessive vomiting and diarrhea. One of the reasons this happens is due to the laxative effects of vaseline.

Certain types of vaseline may also be toxic or unsafe to dogs because they contain ingredients like cocoa butter. The Vaseline Cocoa Radiant product is one example of this. While cocoa butter isn’t exactly chocolate, the high amount of fat can trigger further issues in the dog’s stomach.

While the risk is low, there is also a possibility of vaseline causing choking, especially if a dog was to eat a full jar of petroleum jelly. You will know this is happening if the dog is starting to gag and cough a lot.

What to do if your dog ate vaseline

A trip to the vet might not be necessary but a call might still be worth it. The vet can advise on the potential dangers based on the amount and type of vaseline the dog swallowed. In the meantime, make sure your dog has access to plenty of fresh drinking water. The bouts of vomiting and diarrhea will make them feel dehydrated.

You may need to also feed the dog a bland diet until their digestive system is back up and running. Getting your dog some dog diapers may help reduce the amount of mess you need to clean up.

Comments

Leave a Reply