Dog Accidentally Swallowed Vitamin D3 Pills – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Vitamin overdose can happen with dogs and it doesn’t take much to reach the maximum threshold. How dangerous the ingestion of vitamin D3 pills is to dogs will depend on the circumstances. How big is your dog? How many vitamin D3 pills did he manage to swallow?

What happens when a dog eats vitamin D3?

Vitamin D offers many health benefits. For example, adding an appropriate amount of vitamin D to a dog’s diet may help with strengthening their bone and muscle strength. Taking too many vitamins, however, will have an adverse effect and put your dog’s health at risk.

Dogs that suffer from vitamin D3 poisoning may start to show a variety of worrying symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and a loss of appetite. The more vitamin content the dog ingests (past the threshold), the more severe these symptoms will become. High doses of vitamin D3 consumption may lead to serious health disorders like kidney failure.

The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) offers guidance on the maximum amount of vitamin D supplements a dog is allowed to take. As a general rule of thumb, consider a fatal dose to be around 2 mg/kg. For a small dog with a weight of less than 10 kg, it would only take a few pills for the D3 supplements to potentially cause serious problems with your dog’s health. Keep in mind your dog might be already getting a sufficient amount of vitamin D3 from his food.

What to do if your dog ate vitamin D3 pills

There is no time to waste. Call the emergency vet. They will give you guidance on whether a visit to the clinic is necessary. Online veterinary services like Vetster are also available for consultation if none of the local vets are available. Please keep in mind that symptoms of vitamin D3 poisoning aren’t always immediate. It may take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for dogs to show signs of sickness.


Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code