My Dog Ate a Wild Mushroom in the Grass – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

The dangers of wild mushrooms shouldn’t be understated. According to American Mushrooms, there are at least 250 significantly poisonous mushrooms, some of which can look pretty innocent. A visit to the emergency vet could be necessary if you are certain your dog found and ate mushroom in the grass.

What happens if a dog eats mushroom in the grass

The severity of the illness will depend on the type and amount of mushroom the dog ate. Certain types of mushrooms may just result in mild symptoms like stomach upsets. Others, however, can be life-threatening. For example, mushrooms such as the death cap or death angel may result in serious conditions like liver failure.

Common symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs may include: drooling and excessive salivation, tremors, lethargy, and watery eyes.

What to do if your dog ate mushroom in the grass

Unless you are some sort of mushroom expert, it’s best to assume that any wild mushroom in the grass is likely to be poisonous to dogs. It’s important to note that the effects of mushroom-induced illnesses aren’t always immediate. Your dog might only start to show symptoms many hours after eating mushroom in the grass.

We would have the dog seen by the vet as soon as you suspect he has eaten some mushrooms. If possible, take a few photos of the mushroom in the grass. It may help with the diagnosis if the vet knows what the dog is dealing with. If identified early enough, the vet may try to induce vomiting to prevent the toxic content of the wild mushroom from getting absorbed inside the dog’s body.

Comments

Leave a Reply