Dog Ate a Wine Cork – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Wine corks can become a major health hazard to dogs if they were to accidentally swallow them.

What happens when a dog eats a wine cork?

Intestinal blockage is one of the main health risks a dog could be exposed to after eating a wine cork. The dog’s stomach won’t be able to digest the stiff texture of the wine cork. It may get stuck somewhere along the gastrointestinal tract, such as the small intestines. Food and fluids won’t be able to pass along properly which, in turn, increases the risk of dogs suffering from life-threatening conditions like bloat.

Small dogs and puppies may also be at risk of choking after they swallow a wine cork. It wouldn’t be as big of a risk if the dog was able to chew the cork into tiny pieces before swallowing.

What to do if your dog ate a wine cork

We would recommend calling the emergency vet. They would be able to advise whether an emergency trip to the clinic is necessary. Surgery could be avoided if it hasn’t been long since the dog ate the wine cork. Don’t assume the situation is okay just because your dog is acting normal. Some dogs may show concerning symptoms many hours after eating the wine cork.

In the meantime, keep a close eye on your dog’s behavior, specifically when it’s toilet or eating time. Dogs that suffer from blockage problems are likely to develop issues when they try to eat, drink, or poop.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code