How Many Cherry Pits Are Toxic to Dogs?
Dog owners need to be careful with fruits like cherries because the pit and seed is considered toxic to dogs. The amount of cherry pits to make a dog sick will depend on a number of factors such as the size of the dog and the type of cherries the dog consumed.
As you may already know, cherry pits are dangerous to dogs for two reasons. First, they can become obstruction hazards because they aren’t easily digestible. Second, they contain compounds that break down into hydrogen cyanide, which is toxic to dogs.
According to the MSD Veterinary Manual, cyanide is considered lethal for most animal species at 2 mg per kg of body weight. Based on some high-level calculations using the data from this document, a dog that weighs about 20 kg would need to eat quite a large amount of pits from the cherries (assuming all pits break down in the dog’s body) before any fatal effects kick in.
That said, we would be super cautious, even with large dogs that accidentally eat one or two cherry pits. You should consider calling the vet for professional advice should you find yourself in such a situation where your dog eats some cherry pits. Find out what else dogs should or shouldn’t eat by visiting our human dog for food database.