Never Let Your Dog Eat Apricot Pits and Seeds

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

It’s safe for dogs to eat a tiny bit of an apricot’s juicy flesh but the same doesn’t apply to the apricot pit or apricot seed. The apricot pit is toxic to dogs because it contains a chemical compound called amygdalin. Once eaten, it will degrade in the dog’s body and eventually lead to cyanide poisoning.

The same applies to the stems and leaves of the apricot plant. It’s extremely important to take out and safely discard these parts of the apricot before you let your dog eat the flesh. If you suspect that your dog ate an apricot pit then please take him to the vet immediately for an emergency visit.

Dogs that suffer from cyanide toxicity will exhibit symptoms like excessive salivation and rapid breathing. The dog’s gum may also turn bright cherry red.

Comments

Leave a Reply