Dog Ate a Q Tip / Cotton Swab – What to Do Next

The consequences of eating q tips or cotton swabs will depend on a number of factors such as the type of cotton swab and the amount the dog swallowed.

What happens when a dog eats q tips?

One potential health risk is blockage. This could happen if a dog was to swallow too many q tips or cotton swabs at once. The q tips may get lodged somewhere along the dog’s digestive tract, whether that’s the esophagus, stomach, or intestines. If left untreated, the blockage can manifest itself into an even more serious problem such as bloat. In the meantime, you may notice concerning symptoms such as a lack of appetite and lack of movement.

Q tips may also have sharp edges especially if your dog chewed the handle or stick part of the cotton swab. The sharp edge may get lodged against the dog’s internal organ and eventually result in internal bleeding. This points to an important reason for dog owners to never induce vomiting at home (without explicit instructions from the vet). The q tip may cause more bleeding as it moves back upwards while the dog tries to vomit out the content.

What to do if your dog ate q-tips

We would call the vet for advice to be on the safe side, especially if your dog ate a large amount of cotton swabs. Some vets may request for you to come in for further diagnosis. Others may ask you to stay at home and just keep a close eye on your dog for the next few days. You should pay special attention to your dog while they are eating or doing their toilet business. Anything unusual should have you take the dog to the vet as soon as possible.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.


Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code