Dog Drank Diluted Bleach Water from a Mop Bucket – What to Do Next

Bleach as we know is toxic to dogs. How dangerous the ingestion of diluted bleach water in a mop bucket is to dogs will depend on a number of factors like the type of bleach and the amount the dog ingested.

What happens if a dog drinks mop water with bleach?

The severity of bleach poisoning could range from anywhere between mild and severe. If your dog is lucky, he or she may get away with just a few bouts of vomiting before recovering. This could be the case if your dog only drank a small amount of mop water that has diluted household bleach.

Dogs that have drank mop water containing ultra-concentrated bleach aren’t going to be as lucky. Household bleach usually has a pH level of about 11. Ultra-concentrated bleach is closer to 12 and 12.5 Your dog may have ingested ultra-concentrated bleach if the mop bucket is from a professional cleaner. The ingestion of ultra-concentrated bleach, even if it’s diluted, can lead to serious health consequences. It can, for example, lead to severe lesions and chemical burns in the dog’s esophagus.

How long does it take for bleach poisoning to set in?

This will depend on the previously-mentioned factors. It could take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days for dogs to show symptoms of bleach poisoning. You shouldn’t assume your dog is out of the woods, even if he or she acts normal after a few hours of drinking diluted bleach water.

What to do if your dog drank mop water

Call the vet or pet poison hotline. Don’t try to follow any home remedies without approval from a vet. For example, it may make the situation worse if you try to induce vomiting. This can cause dogs to regurgitate the bleach water content, resulting in a lot more irritation in the dog’s body.

Check the dog’s mouth for bright red area. It would be good information to provide to the vet if you do notice the development of oral ulcers or inflammation. Letting dogs drink milk is not recommended but this could be a one-time exception. Feeding your dog a bit of milk may help neutralize some of the caustic effects that bleach may have in your dog’s body.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.


Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code